SERVICES AND FACILITIES
Trained staff are available to provide help and assistance with the use of all facilities.
The Library is Wi-Fi enabled – this service can be accessed using your membership number and PIN. Free internet access is also available at public terminals in the Writers' Room and Lightwell. Laptops and other reading devices may be used throughout the building, except in the Reading Room which is designated a laptop- and mobile-free area. Some desks in the bookstack areas have an accessible power supply. Personal equipment should never be left unattended and is used at your own risk. Secure laptop lockers are located in the Issue Hall and in the basement; keys are available at Reception.
Photocopying and scanning facilities
Self-service, card-operated photocopying and scanning facilities are provided in the Catalogue Hall (charge payable). Please note that the Library’s copiers are not licensed for any commercial copying of material in copyright under the provisions of the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations (2003). All photocopying of Library material is subject to copyright restrictions and preservation considerations. Members may request copies from books, periodicals, pamphlets, and electronic publications to be sent to them, subject to copyright restrictions and preservation considerations, at a small additional charge. Please contact Country Orders to use this service.
Bags and cases may not be taken into the Library and should be left in the lockers provided in the Issue Hall; keys are available from Reception. Transparent bags are provided for use in the Library. Coats and umbrellas may be left in the cloakroom area, at members’ own risk.
Toilets are located in the Basement and also off the main staircase – first floor (Gentlemen) and second (Ladies); and off the staircase in T.S. Eliot House – mezzanine floor (Ladies) and second floor (Gentlemen).
Facilities for members with disabilities
- Entrance offering level access into the building from Mason’s Yard via a platform lift, with trained staff on hand to assist with its operation if required – 2 wheelchair-accessible lifts between them serve all reading rooms and the majority of floors in the Central Stack, St James’s Building, and T.S. Eliot House
- Wheelchair-accessible enquiry and service counter
- Specific reader spaces or areas may be booked in advance for those with access-related needs
- Accessible toilets in the basement reached via the main lift – Portable induction loop at Reception
- Video screen reader available for those with visual impairments
- Magnifying glasses available on request
- Staff are always available to retrieve books and deliver them to wherever needed within the Library
In the event of the fire alarms sounding, please follow the signs to the nearest fire exit and evacuate the building immediately, or wait at the nearest refuge point and use the call button to alert staff.